Monday, September 15, 2003

So, I'm starting to think more and more about theatre...
maybe it's about time since I've been at it for a little over three years now and I'm just noticing things, and thinking about things more...
for instance looking at google news I notice there's nothing about live theatre anywhere...
Why is that? How many plays premiere in the U.S. in any given month?
How many never play beyond their home town? I don't know the answer to either of these questions...and I'm not sure if anyone would, but I might just do some asking around...

I got into a discussion once on the trombone mailing list with some orchestra folks about dwindling subscriptions, financially floundering orchestras, etc...and most of them were very quick to blame the audience. They talked about how audiences had deteriorated. People were less educated. People have less patience. Audiences are only concerned with appearances. And So On.
I don't think you should ever blame the audience. Audiences don't get worse. They change, and if you want to continue to have the privilege of addressing them, you'd better change with them, or better still, just a little bit ahead of them.

Not only am I starting to write again, but I make my solo trombone debut September 28th at Super Happy Fun Land.

So needless to say I am thinking a lot about the artist, audience, and the responsibilities of both...
in fact right now I'm thinking so hard I can't possible come to any conclusion long enough to get it typed before I change my mind...

hmm....





No comments: