Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Finished reading "Big Lies" and while I enjoyed it there wasn't much there I didn't already know. If you have a right winger you argue with regularly though you could just buy them this and have them read it. It does refute a lot of the ugliness they spat. However, he does attack Chomsky (o.k. only one sentence, but still unneccessary), and he doesn't attack Delay hard enough. In the Family Values chapter it's a real crime he doesn't mention the fact that Tom Delay doesn't even talk to his own mother. Now I can think of a lot of good reasons folks might be estranged from their parents, but I don't go writing legislation requiring posting the ten commandments to be posted in public schools... I think he needs to meditate on #5 for awhile...
Actually the one good thing I think you can say about Tom Delay concerns his work for foster kids...and I started to read something about that and then decided I should stop before they revealed that was some kind of fraud too.

After I finished the Conason I started reading the new Hightower book and so far it is, in a word, brilliant! Funny as Franken and as informative as Conason or Franken. He talks about a lot of things that I actually had never heard, and most of them are as frightening as the things we all know, if not more so. He does repeat something that Conason debunks in his book. He says Ken Lay stayed in the Lincoln bedroom as a guest of Clinton. Conason says that's a winger lie. He was a guest of Bush the Elder however. Conason says it was retracted only in one paper. I'll have the quotes tomorrow (left the book at work) Still, so far this book is amazing. Makes me proud to be a Texan.
He does have some interesting stuff about the idea of running government like a business, and what a horrible wrong-headed idea that is. I happen to agree, and will have that quote and some stuff about the mayoral race so far...

No comments: