Monday, August 08, 2005

so sorry for you

if you weren't at Rudz just now...
Holly Golightly was just right.
Seriously,
the economy of the arrangements,
the lyrics,
the rocking,
the blues,
the organ,
everything...

I was meeting my friend Karen for a drink
and I called Margaret ** to see if she wanted
to join us...
she reminded me that Holly was playing tonight,
and it was the best news I'd had all week...
I spent way more of my unemployment check than I should have.

Over the last few years Holly's music has really worked for me...
everytime I hear something like "You ain't no big thing" or "I won't go out"
I feel better, even if I feel worse...
she just really gets it.

I listened to Billy Childish for years,
and was a huge fan of Thee Headcoatees,
but nobody was surprised as I was that Holly's
records were SOOOOO damn amazing. (fr th rcrd: I bought Kyra's records too,
and everything B. Childish related I could find for years, but Holly's graduated all that...she's really her own thing now, and if you have any feelings in yr bones at all you really need to track some of her recordings down, have a few whiskeys, and listen to the truth she's got to sing... It ain't like she makes a BIG PRODUCTION of it, no miasmas, no drama...just the real "Fuck Me. Fuck You." understated and true.)


anyway, you missed it tonight,
and if you ain't at Helios on Monday fr The Rx Medicine Show,
you'll be missing it again,
you moron.
I'll be sitting in.
So come on down
and show solidarity with yr unemployed brother.
You can call in sick Tuesday.
I know you can.
We'll be bringing the real communal-party-
bluegrass-old-timey-punk-rock-hip-hop
happenin'...
best party in Houston on a Monday night,
or all week for that matter...


oh yeah,
if yr coming to see Tamalalia X make yr reservations ASAP,
or it ain't happenin' boss...
just so's ya know...

M

2 comments:

the library girl said...

sounds like the show was awesome and most likely awesomer.
sounds like you really enjoyed yourself!
I am looking at being home from mid December until right after xmas. Will you be around?

Kid Ornery said...

I'm sure I will...
You know me, I'll be busy here doing something...

M