Friday, September 23, 2005

well...

we still don't know what exactly is going to happen here...
the "official" pronouncement is that Rita'll hit closer to the LA/TX border,
but Dr. Neil is still talking about a possible
direct hit to Galveston.

We should start seeing rain and tropical storm level winds in the next few hours...

I know several people who tried to leave yesterday only to turn around...
those who did get out spent a lot of time in their cars...
stories of crossing 3 miles in 4 hours or 6 miles in 45 minutes...
One friend nearly passed out in her car,
got rearended, eventually pulled over,
got herself and her 4 cats cooled down,
and drank some ice water provided by a friendly local merchant,
and then turned around and went home.
Another left last night (talked to her as I was biking to Rudyard's...
bars are the only things open...Rudz, Poison Girl, #"s, and Notsuoh were up and running last night...) She said there was no traffic all the way to intercontinental and she wasn't worried. Talked to her later - when she hit 1960 it came to a DEAD standstill, and after an hour or so of that, she turned around and came home.
Lots of folks I know are staying, and most of them were at Rudyard's drinking last night...
I've got some neighbors I know across the street, and down the street that are riding it out here in the neighborhood.

so, I'm just sitting here waiting, freezing water, and filling tubs...
got my canned goods and my candles...

ahhh, good times.

I'll try to update again before I lose my connection or power...

No comments: