Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tara Stiles: Orthoskepsis: When Too Much Thinking Is A Bad Thing


Tara Stiles: Orthoskepsis: When Too Much Thinking Is A Bad Thing

"Perhaps thinking too much could be the problem. American physician Steven Bratman proposed the term orthorexia: 'orth' (right and correct) 'orexia' (appetite). The term refers to an unhealthy obsession with healthy eating. Orthorexia is not yet an eating disorder recognized by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. However, academic investigation is underway. I am convinced we also have an unhealthy obsession with thinking. What would that be called? Orth-o-skepsis (orth, plus the Greek skepsis: examination, doubt, skeptical philosophy). I just made that up. I threw in the 'o' so it would sound ok."

I'm not sure what I think about this.  On the one hand thinking too much is the cause of a lot of my misery, on the other trusting yr gut turns you into George W. Bush...


No comments: