Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Tuesday Eno Blogging

Phonograph Record: Eno Music: The Roxy Rebellion:
"Stuck in the middle like the time he was chatting with some friends on the staircase outside Elton John's Christmas party: 'I saw Eno standing there (points down) and Bryan Ferry standing there (up). Eno was going to go in, and Bryan was going to go out, but they were sort of like you know (fists together, head on face off). I suddenly saw Eno, I suddenly saw Bryan, and I just went screaming up the stairs going 'hello, hello, hello, hello!' and rushed into the party. They would not pass. It was amazing! Hopefully, both of them will do what they want to do and get to a point where they can pass each other on the stairs.'

Without question, a prime feud. A bit of perspective, please: 'Obviously, these things happen. It's nothing rare. It happens in every band. The only reason it affects me is that I have to be sitting down there making a record, and these kind of things put so much pressure on you. Because you want to sit down and make the record. You don't want to read the paper, you can't even decide if you want to drink coffee or tea when it gets down to that point. You don't want to know any of the things that are going on. Andy was so upset when we did Stranded, about Eno leaving, that there was a tension there between Andy and Bryan. Andy was telling me this and Bryan was telling me that and I was always in the middle. But they're alright now. I think they are alright now. I hope they are alright now.'"

Recollections of Chris Thomas, producer for Roxy Music.

No comments: