Tuesday, November 22, 2005

I Am NOT The Beastmaster: Multiple Articulation

I was wondering where the smart talk on THE CRISIS!!!!! was happening...
think I've stumbled across some...
I Am NOT The Beastmaster: Multiple Articulation: "Let me explain briefly for those of you who can't name the full line-up of the Justice Battalion or the Inferior Five. The Kingdom was a short 1998 miniseries that existed to plug in one of four quarterly holes in DC Comics' publishing schedule and to cash in on the popularity of Mark Waid and Alex Ross's smash hit Kingdom Come by tying its possible future into the normal DC continuity. The end result was the creation of Hypertime, a Grant Morrison concept never actually written by Grant Morrison, which conceded that all of DC's editorially-annihilated stories, characters, and parallel universes still existed somewhere, somehow. Brooker exalts Hypertime as 'a textbook example of postmodernism, following Fredric Jameson's influential definitions,' although he never gets around to mentioning that those influential definitions are highly critical of postmodernism for its institution of exactly this sort of empty pastiche--or, as Jim calls it in his comments thread, a purely 'gestural multiplicity.' (Incidentally, I'm paraphrasing comments I've already made in a review of Brooker's book for IJOCA--pardon the repetition.)"

which leads me to the fact that I'm enjoying the big two events going on right now.

"Decimation", going through the Marvel books after "The House of M", is turning into an interesting read. But you can't convice me they won't end up undoing most of it. C'mon, no Ice Man? And how long are they going to wait for Hawkeye to show back up?

Now, "Infinite Crisis" is more than just a good read (yes, I am a DC fanboy), it's just the kind of huge narrative shared universe mythology rich comic book story I like. I've been reading ALL the connected books (except the rann-thanagar war lead-in... I know the Green Lantern's ended up involved in it, but I still couldn't bring myself to care. A man's got to draw a line somewhere, right?) and the writer's are doing a GREAT job of really making the DC universe a connected universe again. I've never really cared about Capt. Marvel. Still don't really. But the way the whole Marvel family's story has been told during the crisis and pre-crisis, etc. does have me actually interested in them for the first time.

and...that last page of INFINITE CRISIS #2...
that's crazy.

anyway, said I was looking for smart talk on THE CRISIS!!!! didn't say you were gonna get any here...

No comments: