Monday, February 27, 2006

Sol Legion Clan � Forums � Insomnia and the Strange things you find on the net � Starbuck: Lost in Castration

One for the geeks:

Sol Legion Clan � Forums � Insomnia and the Strange things you find on the net � Starbuck: Lost in Castration: "'Re-imagining', they call it. 'un-imagining' is more accurate. To
take what once was and twist it into what never was intended. So that
a television show based on hope, spiritual faith, and family is
unimagined and regurgitated as a show of despair, sexual violence and
family dysfunction. To better reflect the times of ambiguous morality
in which we live, one would assume. A show in which the aliens
(Cylons) are justified in their desire to destroy our civilisation. "

Dirk Benedict on the new BSG sounding like the earth-2 supes in "infinite crisis"...

echoes of fanboyism
ripples and waves
and regret

Is it only natural that we remake the stories we heard as children into stories that speak to us now?
where does that leave kids today?
with their own stories.
I like my Batman a little tortured and crazy,
my Wonder Woman a warrior, and my Green Lantern a mass murderer - o.k. that last one is a joke, although I do still have some issues with Hal Jordan being back,
and I grew up with Hal Jordan and Barry Allen...
I had DC ship me "Green Lantern" and "Flash" every month. They weren't bagged in mylar and backed with acid free cardboard. They came in brown paper, in the regular mail, and they were magic. Green Lantern was a grand space opera, Hal Jordan a man without fear. After the original crisis I guess I stopped really paying attention, and somewhere down the line I think they made Hal an alcoholic, and then they had him go nuts...and he killed alot of people...800 and something , sacrificed his life eventually to save the world, did some time as the spectre, and now he's back. Shouldn't he get credit for saving the world? Shouldn't that wipe out all the bad stuff? No. That's what superheroes do. They save the world. That's the job.
Anyway, GL is just one of the titles/family of titles that just got more or less rebooted (Titans, Outsiders, Legion, etc.) and now we're about to pick up "one year later" after the new crisis... It looks like there really will be some major changes in the primary DC universe, if they do go back to the "multi-verse" (which I'm not convinced is happening), but I really have no idea what they could be. It could go in pretty much any direction from what we've seen so far.

I really dig the new Battlestar Galactica,
and I have high hopes for the new DC Universe.
The Crisis and all it's tie-ins are being as well written and nicely handled as any of these big events ever are...
much better than "House of M/Decimation" over at Marvel.
I did enjoy "The Other" in the Spiderman books,
and I'm curious about "Civil War" but generally
I think I'm more interested in Marvel movies,
and DC books these days.

But of course the best realization of the DC Universe is, hands down, the animated DCU of "Justice League Unlimited" and all the precursors to it - an amazing amount of continuity, great takes on the characters (visually and otherwise), it pretty much has it all...
Really. Any of you who are or once were DC fanboys should seek out the DVD's of any of the animated DCU stuff from recent years. I'm worried about the animated DCU now too though. Apparently "JLU" is over, and if "The Batman" is the new direction they are going in (c'mon man, the penguin doing kung-fu?) I'm not terribly excited...

anyway, how's that for a ramble?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dirk is a bitter dumbass, upset because Hatch gets a recurring and he doesn't. The "Stardoe" is kinda funny though. I love BG..but they have fucked Stardoes character up...it isn't her fault. Stardoe should be drinking, smoking, f*cking and kicking cylon ass at every opportunity..just like the male version. Get rid of the "Oh I'm so tortured cuz some guy I met and f*cked once on Caprica has me oh so upset and angry" throughline. That ain't starbuck.

Kid Ornery said...

I like to think Starbuck is more torn over her inability to keep her word and mount a rescue than she is about the particular attachment to any one person.

Anonymous said...

Well hell I like to think George Bush is just a misguided fool rather than a legitimate spawn of satan. The writers have made it obvious, she's wants the booty..no mention of freeing more mom's from the baby machines ya notice.

However, none of this is as bad as the "Apollo as Columbo out to bring down the mob" episode. It is still my favorite tv show, but the writers better get back to giving the actors something to work with or I don't see Olmos and McDonnell sticking around. -jmiserable