Thursday, March 09, 2006

Click opera - March 3rd, 2006

Momus is a lucky bastard...
he gets the coolest jobs in the world...
like "Unreliable Tour Guide" for the Whitney Biennieal.
Click opera - March 3rd, 2006: "I also felt a bit mean telling people looking at the Daniel Johnston cartoons that Johnston actually gets these drawn by a 14 year-old in Hong Kong who's only paid $5 per drawing, and that Johnston, far from being some kind of outsider artist, is in fact an advertising man working on Madison Avenue (which happens to be the Whitney's address). Or that a slide sequence of Nan Goldin-like nudes had been made in iPhoto and iTunes, and been demoed by Steve Jobs at the last Apple Expo. In fact, I felt like someone might punch me saying these things. So as the day wore on (and no doubt as my blood sugar levels declined -- I didn't even stop for lunch) I got a bit more poetic and lyrical, sitting on the floor in the corner of rooms with more ambient washes of electronic sound in them, improvising abstract imagery in a 'mesmeric' voice. I enjoyed that; it was a bit like being an improvising poet in residence, and I felt like I wasn't going against the grain of the work on display or irritating people too much."

No comments: