Monday, April 24, 2006

The Ultimate Fighting Anarchist -- In These Times

The Ultimate Fighting Anarchist -- In These Times: "“I’m not some sort of conspiracy theorist,” Monson says of his political leanings. “I’m not talking about how the government is trying to hide UFOs. I just want to do away with hierarchy. I’m saying that our economic system, capitalism, is structured so that it only benefits a small percentage of very wealthy people. When I was traveling in Brazil, they had us staying at a really posh hotel. Outside the hotel there was a mom sleeping on the sidewalk with her two kids. That’s when reality hits you. What did that woman ever do? Who did she ever hurt?”

Monson wears his politics on his sleeve, as well as the rest of his body. An anarcho-syndicalist star is tattooed on his chest, an anarchy sign on his back and another “A” on his leg. While he loves his sport, he also feels a responsibility to use whatever exposure he receives for a larger purpose. “I don’t think I’m more important than anyone else, but since some people are paying attention, then I’m going to use this as a vehicle to express myself,” he says. Some fans have labeled him anti-American, but he shrugs off such criticism. He was slightly taken aback, however, when three Secret Service agents showed up at his gym in Olympia, Wash., last fall."

awesome!
ANARCHISTS UNITE!

No comments: