Monday, April 09, 2007

NonAlignment Pact: Music in Seven Days from Seven Writers

Just another quick reminder -
you should be reading NAP...
these people are saying all the right things,
even when they disagree.

Here is Dyn@mutt Doug D. on the Houston "scene."

NonAlignment Pact: Music in Seven Days from Seven Writers


It's ironic, then, that I have to admit I do belong to a scene, and it is the Houston scene, despite being thousands of miles and nine years from it. Amongst many of my university cohorts, Houston was a dirty seven letter word, but for me it was an amazing, improbable place, a place that was inspirational despite its best attempts otherwise, and I still describe the Houston music scene lovingly to people. Little barrier to entry, open to insanity, easy to support yourself in order to afford to make your music, people who are grateful to come out and support anything of interest. You never make it huge if you're from Houston - at least not the loosely defined indie rock, um, scene - you just do what you love for small passionate audiences. At least, that's how I remember it.




No comments: