Monday, March 28, 2005

James Wolcott

James Wolcott:
"* We should be concerned with the here and now, with solving human problems with the best resources of human minds and hearts. If there is to be meaning in our lives, we must supply it ourselves, relying on our own powers, observation, and compassion. It is irrational and ultimately harmful to hang our hopes on gods, the supernatural, and the hidden, which arise out of imagination and wishful thinking. It is pointless - and often dangerous - to push aside human intelligence to reach for some flimsy veil of alleged truths."

I didn't even know there was a Council for Secular Humanism. Think they'll give me a job promoting secular humanism door to door? I already have my speech ready:

"Have you heard the good news? The good news about Jesus Christ? He's imaginary, just like his dad. That means you're free. Free to do anything you want, and responsible for everything you do. No longer can superstition keep you from reaching your potential. Now you are the only thing standing in your way."

whattaya think? How many doors could I knock on before some Chrazy Christian knocks me on my ass?

No comments: