Tuesday, June 13, 2006

bartenders

The only thing worse than a slow bartender with a weak pour, and that's a rude bartender...
;: "So just to get my bitching out of the way, let me share with you the big moment of the evening. I’d invited Karen to come see the Sharks and Sailors; Jonx; and Motion Turns It On show. Karen, being the trooper, agreed despite being a bit tired from going out with some friends on Thursday. So she comes out and orders a water from the buzz-cut non-Roy bartender who takes her order with a huff. Later in the evening, Karen says that she’s going to grab a beer and heads to the bar. Roy is busy by the taps and the other guy is slowly moving toward us at the bar. Then, he makes this left sweep towards us. He points to the guy to Karen’s left (he’s ok), he points to me and my half finished beer (I point to Karen), he looks at Karen and walks away. Arms go up! “NO!” “He did NOT just do that!” “OOOOH! Man!” To stay would have been undignified if she’d have ignored it or bloody if she’d given the idiot what-for so, with a “Fuck this!”, Karen leaves with her dignity intact. I came close to leaving but I felt some commitment to shoot some good shots of S&S and stuck around despite losing all the happy momentum of the evening. So after Saturday’s belvile/ Something Fierce record release party I am boycotting Walter’s for the foreseeable future."

I have a friend who always asks, and waits for, a particular bartender at Rudyard's. I don't go that far, but I'd rather catch Myrna or Brad behind the bar than anyone else. I've known Brad for a long time, and we've almost been in a band together (at least I think there was talk of it once, drunk talk to be sure, but talk nonetheless.) And what can you say about Myrna except she's Myrna, and that's enough...


I generally let other people order drinks at The Proletariat, as it is the only place I've ever really fought with a bartender.

The guy at the Beer Cellar on Friday nights is good.
Knows my drink.
Gets a good pour to me quick.

Even when Poison Girl is busy it never takes an unreasonable amount of time to get a drink.

My least favorite bartenders in town used to be at Emo's... I would watch people walk up to the bar all around me and get served, the bartender take a call, watch some tv, anything to keep from serving me my drink...happened often, but it was Emo's - where else could I see all the AmRep bands and older folks I hoped I would not become and now fear that I have.

My advice, tip your bartender, unless they piss you off...
then make them throw you out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All bartenders are evil if you're drinking water. As the girl who's usually the designated driver I can testify to that.

Kid Ornery said...

You tip, right?
even drinking water...
I mean, if not it doesn't give them an excuse to be rude,
but I always pull out a buck or two to pay for the water and when they wave me off it goes in the tip jar...
of course I'm usually ordering a water AND a whiskey.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I tip. It's just that I'm not ordering the whiskey.

Powergirl said...

I always wait for MY bartender to serve me. I have had too many bad experiences.