Monday, January 10, 2005

Monday Mornin' Blues (in the afternoon)

So, had a good weekend...
Friday night The Mathletes played at the axiom...
I really enjoy playing bass, even if I'm not very good at it.
It's all old school punk rock 8th notes on the tonic as far as I'm concerned.
A few of the mathletes tunes have bass lines Joe wrote and makes me play,
but when I don't get any guidance, it's 8th notes on the tonic...
Jenni didn't make it out this time, and it looks like we'll be Jenni-less for a while.
She's taking classes to become a music teacher and it's taking a lot of her time...
but it's going to take her further in the direction she wants to go,
so it should be worth it. I drank a lot of tequila at the show. My role in The Mathletes is "dumb rock guy" so I wore my leather jacket, and drank cheap tequila from the bottle onstage...
it helped...

Saturday I worked with Aileen on some music for her dance piece coming up at SUPERHAPPYFUNLAND in Feb. She did a great tape cut-up of some Harry Nilson songs then I put that in ACID and layered a few other things on it, and edited out some bits of silence...
the result is funny and a little unnerving... can't wait to see what she does with it.
Then I went to John Duboise's wedding... It was a nice short service in a small church with the oldest pipe organ in Texas... Tina looked beautiful, and they both seemed to be having a great day. The reception was at The Firehouse. The Medicine Show played, and I would link to them but I'm being petty because nobody told me we (they) were playing, so I didn't bring my horn...
it's weird always being welcome to play with a band, but not being considered a part of the band...think I'm taking a break from that for a while... I need to concentrate on playing with people who really want to play with me and who consider what I do an integral part of the whole...so no Medicine Show for a while...last monday when I went to play with them it was pretty danged unsatisfying...and not just because there were too many people on stage.
Called it an early night and was in bed by midnight or so...ahhh sleep...

Sunday I went to my folks out in Deer Park to borrow some gas $$$. Despite getting my first real paycheck in a while I'm still broke. That's what you get for paying back rent...well, that and not evicted. When I got home Charlie and I talked about some Last Bastions future plans and then we had TDU practice. Ryan showed up this week, but no Jo Bird...we'll probably never get all our ideal musicians there until we book a gig... Maybe I'll call SUPERHAPPYFUNLAND today and see what we can do... The New TDU is much more psychedelic and less soulful/funky...but that's o.k. We're definitely approaching more of the 70's Mile's feel that we were initially talking about trying to hit with the last line-up...
had my dinner and then went with Charlie to play Poker at Joe Mathlete's. Charlie lost first. He's never played cards for $$$ and looked very confused much of the time. I knew I had to be at work this morning...and I was drinking the tequila again...so I was out next...
We were playing hold 'em and they were allowing re-buy-ins... Which I don't like one bit...makes it less about skill and more about who is starting with the most $$$...not that it mattered to me...I couldn't even really afford the $5.00 I lost...hehe...

so, minus details of girl chasing (unsuccessful as usual) that was pretty much my weekend...
and now I'm at work writing this, because well, it's better than working (and I'm all caught up)

blah...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Charlie here... yeah, Texas Hold'em's not something you want to just jump into if you've never played it before and you've never done betting on poker before! But still, it was fun, and I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it, so hopefully that won't be the last time...

TDU does seem to be going really well, even if we still haven't had everyone at the same place at the same time... but damn, it's never been this loud, electric, or psychedelic before, so I'm overjoyed... it may not be the purer "energy music" free jazz I love so much, but it's a fascinating hybrid of free jazz, krautrock, and psychedelic music, so it's going to be fascinating when we finally start playing out...

Anonymous said...

Dude you RAWK on bass! Who cares if all you play is the tonic, bass playing is all about how good you look..and with that sequined jacket..IT'S ALL GOOD. (Bump those 8th notes to 16th notes, hit the fifth every 2 measures and all of sudden your freaking Rocco Prestia.) Keep that jacket on when your chasing women...you'll be beating them off with your bass.

Not a bad blog at all.

-j.miller

cherry blossom said...

i wanna hear more about the girl chasing.

Kid Ornery said...

ah well, there are two things I won't be talking about on this blog much if at all...
one is the girl chasing...other than to make the occasional self-deprecating remark about my lack of a love life I will probably be leaving that part of my private life private...
and I won't even tell you what the other thing is...
hehe