Saturday, May 07, 2005

File Under: Those Zany Christians!

REAL ART (and politics and culture):
"Last Tuesday morning, we did a performance of the play I'm currently doing for some local high schools. One high school, a private 'Bible' (i.e. fundamentalist) school, decided to leave before even a single line was uttered because of a cartoon like caricature of a Picassoesque nude (if not actually by Picasso--I'm not really sure) that's part of the set. Of course this was ridiculous: the picture is utterly unrealistic; it's cubist for god's sake! I feel certain that this painting made no teen hormones spike wildly. But 'whatever,' I thought. I had encountered insane, paranoid, anti-sex religious freaks numerous times when I was working in the public schools myself. This seems pretty standard. 'There they go again,' I thought."

Ron goes on to talk about the outrage of another actor, and how that was actually the proper emotional response.

and then he quotes a great bit I heard on Democracy Now the other day...
about the dominionists...
scary stuff...
I just wish the rapture would hurry up so I could get myself a cadillac...

2 comments:

Ron said...

This is a pretty good example of the synergestic effects of blogging. I wasn't even planning to mention this thing about the school leaving until I read what you had posted about that church in North Carolina kicking out the Democrats. Then I find the whole thing back here at Not a compliment. We're creating a Mighty Wurlitzer, Mike.

Kid Ornery said...

Glad my short blub encouraged you to tell your story...
that's the interesting stuff...
the stuff that happens that nobody is going to "report" on but that really isn't just an isolated incident either...
anyway, always sorry to hear about close-mindedness winning the day...
I'm sure y'all gave a great performance for the folks smart enough NOT to walk out...