Monday, June 26, 2006

ZACH SNYDER TO DIRECT WATCHMEN FOR WARNERS - NEWSARAMA

ZACH SNYDER TO DIRECT WATCHMEN FOR WARNERS - NEWSARAMA:
"It’s a story that clearly seems to be a challenge to adapt to film, but now, according to The Hollywood Reproter, that’s what director Zach Snyder’s job is, as the young director was named by Warner Bros. as the helmer of the movie version of the Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons classic graphic novel."

In the best of all possible worlds this would be a great movie, and still a poor adaption of the book if it runs any less than 6 or 7 hours...
This is an incredibly rich text, and there is simply no way to do it justice with an American made studio film.
HBO or the Sci-Fi network should be working on the twelve episode series right now...
instead we'll get this...maybe.
It seems like they announce a new director and writer for this project every couple of days...
So there's still hope.
Hope that maybe it will never get made,
and that one of the best comic books
will get to be remembered as a great comic book
and not something else.

2 comments:

Ron said...

You know, I remember reading The Watchmen back in the late 80s: me and my gang of sci-fi buddies all pretty much agreed that the only way to do it justice was as an HBO mini-series (no Sci-Fi Channel back then), but then we heard that Terry Gilliam had been given the nod to direct the movie and we were all like, "well, okay then, that'll work." Then we heard nothing else about it. For years. Until now. Frankly, I'll take a cheesy Watchmen over none at all. After all, they destroyed Starship Troopers relative to the great Heinlein novel, but it wasn't a bad film in and of itself. Maybe this'll be okay.

Kid Ornery said...

I love Gilliam.
My "Brasil" criterion collection box is one of the only possesions I own that is more than a thing to me.
That said, have you watched the documentary about his trying to make "don quixote" (sp? look, it's late, i'm drunk, but you know what I mean...)?
I think the man is cursed.
"Brothers Grimm" does not make me think differently...
and if you go to www.aintitcool.com and search for "Watchmen" you'll see that Aaronofsky and several others have been attached since then...
if Gilliam, or Aaronofsky can't pull it off then I'm not sure who in hollywood can...
It's only after Battlestar Galactica that I'd think Sci-fi might be able to pull it off...but hell, I'd trust it to a showtime mini series before I'd trust it to a hollywood movie...
it is a stand out of its form.
any translation will be disappointing,
but a half-ass one will be terribly sad.