Friday, March 11, 2005

sinkroknicity

So, yesterday at lunch I decide just to go wandering around and end up at a used bookstore around the corner from the office. I picked up a couple of philosophy books, Barthes' "Mythologies" and an anthology called "The Pleasures of Philosphy" by Charles Frankel.
I like to pick up random cheap philosophy anthologies from time to time and re-read classic selections in a new frame. Yeah, yeah, I know... Anyway, I'm flipping through it and I decide to take a gander at Frankel's frame for "Notes from the Underground" and this bit resonates so strongly with what I was talking about regarding economics that I have to quote it:


Is there an objective truth to be found? Yes, Dostoyevsky says, but reason isn't the
way to find it, for reason is simply the mask men wear when they want to hide their prejudices from themselves. Is reason at least the best instrument available to man for mastering the world and serving human interests? The question would make more sense, replies Dostoyevsky, if men wanted to satisfy what are known as their interests, but they also have an invincible interest in self-destruction. "The more I have recognised what is good," says his anti-hero, "and what constitutes 'the great and the beautiful' the deeper I have plunged into the mire."


Not exactly what I was talking about sure, but it's one example of the kind of reality modern economics does not address...
If I wasn't at work I'd write several more pages on this stuff, cause it's got my wheels spinning...
but I am at work and I can't finish a goddamn thought w/o an interruption...

grrr...

No comments: