Monday, July 11, 2005

James Wolcott: Oliver Stone and Steven Spielberg: The Doublemint Twins of Treason

It's the talk of the blogosphere:
James Wolcott: Oliver Stone and Steven Spielberg: The Doublemint Twins of Treason

am I the only liberal that thinks Stone is a hack? a skilled hack perhaps...
but a hack nonetheless...
Sure, I cried during "born on the 4th of july" and then I left the theatre mad at the filmmaker and they way he manipulated me...
maybe that's his job, maybe not...but it pissed me off.
I prefer my art with a little more ambiguity...
and don't get me started on "Wall Street"...
You know if you make an anti-greed film and I hate it,
it must be bad.
anyway, just wanted to throw that out there...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still think you should see JFK. If for no other reason than to see Joe Pesci as David Ferrie, Ed Asner as Guy Bannister, Brian Doyle Murray as Jack Ruby, Gary Oldman as Oswald, the original odd couple playing a senator and Bannister's assistant, Kevin Bacon playing Perry Russo, the REAL Perry Russo playing a drunken bar fascist, and the real Jim Garrisson as chief justice Earl Warren. Its the only Stone movie worth seeing (look at the CAST for gods sake), and yes its over the top...but the CAST!!!! fuck the other movies and fuck kevin costner tho.

Kid Ornery said...

I"m sure JFK is worth watching. I've seen bits and pieces... I really think they should just make a david ferrie movie...
"Mary, Ferrie and the Monkey Virus" would be a good place to start scripting... I place it right up there with Tranceformation (which is right under "Behold a Pale Horse" and "The Biggest Secret" for me) in the pantheon of conspiracy-myth building texts...

but Stone still pisses me off...
however I will say the scene with Rodney Dangerfield in "Natural Born Killers" was brilliant!!
I do miss Rodney.

Anonymous said...

i have the director's cut, and 2 dvds with great extra scenes. you have to see ruby get injected with cancer and the weird masonic oilman who visits the office, offering him a seat on the bench...