Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Salon.com Life | The devil wore J. Crew

Salon.com Life | The devil wore J. Crew:
"I've been a therapist for trauma survivors for 25 years. I would listen to story after story, and I began to wonder about these people who were hurting my patients. They sounded so different from the rest of humanity. We have this feeling that if one person is capable of doing something, then under certain circumstances we would all be capable of doing the same thing. I no longer think that's true. I think that 4 percent of us can do anything at all without guilt or remorse. And I do mean anything. "

I've, if not always, at least recently, thought that anyone is capable of anything...
hell, it's the tagline for my blog...
I don't think we can all do anything without guilt or remorse necessarliy, just that we can do it despite those feelings...

This is a very interesting and troubling article...
go read it...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read it! It explains a lot...

C

Anonymous said...

Four percent? I think the number is much, much higher. You have those who feel nothing and then you have those who go out of their way to screw with you and hurt you for their own pleasure. Some of these folks, I think, have learned to cover their smugness and pleasure in public once you have been humiliated or hurt, but vicariously in private, take pleasure in the damage they inflict.

Kid Ornery said...

That's something they didn't address...
does a sadist qualify as a sociopath?
or is it a separate designation?