Monday, May 16, 2005

REAL ART (and politics and culture)

Ron over at REAL ART brings my attention to the Southern Baptist Convention:
REAL ART (and politics and culture): "The resolution says schools promote acceptance of gays through officially sanctioned gay clubs, diversity training, anti-bullying courses, safe sex and safe schools programs." (Emphasis mine)

So, now the Southern Baptists are pro-bullying? Wow! They've really studied the work of Jesus...
I remember in the gospels when Jesus and the disciples went queer-bashing...
Who can forget Paul yelling, "Turn the other cheek, faggot!"? as he delivered a well-placed kick to some pansy hiding among the pharisees?

oh, wait...
that's NOT in the bible, is it?

anyway, Ron goes on to bash the public school system (as he does, and rightfully so) and points out the result of this will not be fundamentalists fleeing the schools, but pressure on school administrators to make their schools LESS "gay-friendly"...

When I was in the public school system I really didn't think it could get much worse...
I was wrong...
I was a weird kid.
Sophomore year of high school I had my hair permed in the front, wore my beatle boots, a trench coat, polo shirts, plaid pants, and a broach...yes, a broach...
I wasn't gay, (as far as I know I'm still not), but I sure looked it...
and I took a lot of grief for it too...
never got beat up, but several of my confused new wave friends did.
Bullying in the public schools IS a problem, and it is part of what leads to events like Columbine, and it does need to be addressed. Kids should feel safe in school,
whether they are gay, straight, bad dressers, or even Southern Baptists...
sheesh...
this isn't rocket science!
Schools should be kid-friendly...all kinds of kid-friendly...
anything less cheats us all.

No comments: