Monday, May 30, 2005

Salon.com Arts & Entertainment | Tale of the tape

Salon.com Arts & Entertainment | Tale of the tape:
" The stories are endless. There is the guy who in college used the same mix tape to impress three different girls -- his girlfriend, a fling and a prospective second fling -- simultaneously and got away with it. There is the 13-year-old whose musical existence was shaken out of a Sex Pistols-Beatles bipolarity by mix tapes from cooler, older friends. There is the guy who made a romantic tape called 'You Best Believe I'm in Love' with nothing on it but New York Dolls songs. "

My first exposure to Bauhaus, The Cure, The Violent Femmes, Husker Du, and in fact most of the bands that I would spend listening to through most of high school were introduced to me on one mix-tape or another...
From Jertsy To Marxy was a tape my friend Monica made me back in the day that included everybody up there and more...
Some guy I knew in band, don't remember his name, but I remember a tape with The Dead Kennedy's and The Dickies among others...
and later making mix-tapes for girlfriends and possible girlfriends (and ex-girlfriends...is there anything sadder than the mix-tape made for an ex?)...
finding ways to make Dylan, and Dwight Yoakum work with The Clash, Brian Eno, The Cure, and more...it was always about maximum eclecticism for me,
even if there was a definite theme or idea working it's way through...
I've always been musically democratic, "all musics for all people" being my ideal,
and the mix-tape, my mix-tapes, were all about that ideal.
My friend Josh would literally work and rework mix-tapes until you could hear snippets of things he'd recorded over in the background. He could work on one for months at a time...

Maybe we can convince Thurston (or his publisher) to set up a site so that we can ALL tell our mix-tape tales...

No comments: